Here are our top five spooky destinations for the October half term holiday:
1. Visit the Haunted Castle…experience Warwick Castle at night and some special goulish goings-on as part of the castle’s Halloween event, 24 October to 2 November, including the mighty Trebuchet Fireball show. Drifters’ base at Napton on the North Oxford Canal is 10 hours from Warwick. October half term canal boat hire from Napton starts at £489 for a short break, £750 for weekly hire.
2. Step into the darkness at Chester Zoo…11,000 animals reside at this award-winning zoo, including over 300 bats. Celebrate Halloween in style by entering the Zoo’s Fruit Bat Forest and explore the darkness with free-flying bats all around. Narrowboat holiday-makers can reach Chester in seven hours from Drifters’ base on the Shropshire Union Canal at Bunbury. Short breaks from Bunbury during the October half term start at £645, weekly breaks from £920.
3. Take a ghost walk in Bath…walk through the ancient and mystical streets of the Roman City of Bath, learning of macabre goings-on, hauntings and tragic events of yester-year. Ghost walks take place every Thursday, Friday and Saturday night at 8pm, starting outside the Garricks Head pub. Bath City Centre is a two-hour cruise from Drifters Bath base. Short breaks from Bath during the October half term holiday start at £645, weekly breaks from £920.
4. Enjoy a Halloween Spooktakular at Cadbury World…During October half term Cadbury World on the Worcester & Birmingham Canal will be turned into a ghoulish site, with staff replaced by witches and vampires, plus a special Halloween X-factor style show. Boaters can reach Cadbury World in just three hours from Drifters’ base at Tardebigge. Short breaks from Tardebigge during the October half term start at £645, weekly breaks from £920.
5. Find out about witch burning at Edinburgh…Edinburgh Castle dominates Scotland’s capital city from its great rock. Battles and sieges were fought over it, royalty lived and died within its walls, and hundreds of supposed witches were burnt at the stake there. Edinburgh is an 11-hour cruise along the Union Canal from Drifters’ base at Falkirk. Short breaks from Falkirk during the October half term holiday start at £585, weekly breaks from £895.