The Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games will take place 28 July to 8 August 2022. With more canals than Venice, Birmingham is a fantastic city to visit by canal boat, and many of games venues are very close to a canal. These include:
- Birmingham Arena next to the Birmingham Canal Old Line;
- Alexander Stadium next to the Tame Valley Canal at Perry Barr.
- Sandwell Aquatics Centre close to the Tame Valley Canal;
- Edgbaston Stadium close to the Worcester & Birmingham Canal;
- Coventry Stadium and Arena close to the Coventry Canal;
- Cannock Chase Forest alongside the Trent & Mersey Canal at Rugeley;
- St Nicholas Park in Warwick close to the Grand Union Canal;
- Victoria Park in Leamington Spa close to the Grand Union Canal; and
- Smithfield on the Digbeth Branch of the Birmingham & Fazeley Canal.
Drifters has a great choice of canal boat hire bases in the West Midlands. To celebrate, we’ve listed out Top 5 Commonwealth Games narrow boat holidays for 2022:
- Travel the Birmingham Ring from Tardebigge – this ring takes boaters into the heart of Birmingham, travelling sections of the Birmingham & Fazeley Canal, Birmingham Canal Old Main Line, Tame Valley Canal and Wyrley & Essington Canal. The ring itself covers 45 miles and 49 locks, but from Drifters base at Tardebigge on the Worcester & Birmingham Canal near Bromsgrove, the total miles travelled will be 74 and it will take around 37 cruising hours.
- Navigate the Warwickshire Ring from Stockton – this popular circuit travels a total of 101 miles, passes through 94 locks and takes around 48 hours. It take boaters along sections of the Grand Union Canal (passing through Leamington Spa and Warwick), the Coventry Canal and Birmingham & Fazeley Canal.
- Boat to Coventry Basin from Braunston – from Drifters’ narrowboat hire base at Braunston, it takes 12 hours to reach Coventry Basin, travelling 28 miles and passing through just four locks. The journey takes boaters up the North Oxford Canal, before joining the Coventry Canal at Hawkesbury Junction. It pass through a series of towns and villages, including Hillmorton and Rugby.
- Cruise to Cannock Chase from Great Haywood – from Drifters’ canal boat rental base at Great Haywood on the Trent & Mersey Canal near Stafford, Rugeley and Cannock Chase are less than two hours cruise away. The journey navigates five miles of the Trent & Mersey Canal and passes through two locks.
- Reach Perry Barr from Alvechurch – it takes around 11 hours, travelling 25 miles and passing through eight locks to reach Perry Barr First Flight Top Lock No 1 from Drifters base at Alvechurch. The journey begins on the Worcester & Birmingham Canal, transferring onto the Birmingham Canal Navigations at Worcester Bar.
For more information about visiting the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games, go to https://www.birmingham2022.com/