Drifters offers winter cruising over Christmas and New Year from nine of its narrow boat hire bases.
All our boats have central heating and hot water, and some of our boats also come with multi-fuel stoves.
Some routes will be affected at times by the Canal & River Trust’s winter maintenance programme, but the following routes are available over Christmas and New Year:
- Travel along the Stratford Canal to Stratford upon Avon – from our base on the Stratford Canal at Wootton Wawen in Warwickshire, it’s a six-hour cruise to Stratford upon Avon. The journey takes boaters through the Warwickshire countryside, passing through 17 locks along the way.
- Navigate the Kennet & Avon Canal to Bath – on a short break from our base at Monkton Combe, you can reach moorings in Bath City Centre in around four hours. The route takes boaters through Claverton and Bathampton and up the Bath flight of six locks.
- Cruise the Trent & Mersey Canal to Fradley Junction – heading south from our base at Great Haywood, boaters can reach Fradley Junction in around five hours. The journey passes through five locks and 12 miles of Staffordshire countryside, including the Cannock Chase Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
- Boat along the Llangollen Canal to Ellesmere – from our base at Whixall in Shropshire, it takes around four hours to reach the historic town of Ellesmere. The journey travels through the Shropshire Lake District, past Lyneal Moss and Colemere Country Park.
- Cruise along the Worcester & Birmingham Canal to Birmingham – from our base at Tardebigge near Bromsgrove, it takes around five hours to reach moorings at Gas Street Basin in the heart of Birmingham.
- Navigate the Shropshire Union Canal to Chester – from our base at Bunbury near Tarporley, it’s a seven-hour cruise through the Cheshire countryside to Chester.
- Travel along the Llangollen Canal to Llangollen – from our base at Trevor in North Wales, it takes around two hours to cruise to Llangollen. There boaters can moor up in Llangollen Basin and enjoy visiting this beautiful Eisteddfod town.
- Cruise along the Kennet & Avon Canal to Bradford on Avon – from our canal boat hire base at Sydney Wharf, you can cruise to the historic market town of Bradford on Avon in just four hours.