Cosy double berths, frosty towpaths and quiet moorings make canals the perfect Romantic hideaway and a number of our bases offer winter cruising, giving couples the chance to escape aboard their very own ‘love boat’ for Valentine’s Day.
Once afloat, cuddle up for a romantic evening afloat, or stop-off at historic country pubs with roaring log fires.
Our narrowboats are fully equipped with all the essential mod cons, including central heating, hot water, televisions and DVD players. Many now have Wifi too. Some boats also have their own multi-fuel stove, so whatever the weather it’s always nice and cosy on board.
Here’s a list of our boat yards offering Valentine’s cruising and ideas of where to go:
• Enjoy the classic English countryside of the Oxford Canal…On a short break from our base at Stretton-under-Fosse near Rugby, boaters can head south along the beautiful Oxford Canal to Braunston, winding through classic scenery, much of which hasn’t changed for centuries. Once there, enjoy a special Valentine’s menu at the Blue Ball pub. On a week’s holiday, continue south to Banbury via Napton and Fenny Compton.
• Propose along the ‘Stream in the Sky’…the awe-inspiring 300metre-long World Heritage Status Pontcysyllte Aqueduct, which soars nearly 40 metres high above the rushing waters of the River Dee, is truly one of the wonders of the waterways. And what a place to propose?! From our canal boat hire base on the Llangollen Canal at Trevor, right next to the aqueduct, a short break to Ellesmere and back, offers the chance to travel over the aqueduct and explore the beautiful Vale of Llangollen and Shropshire Lake District. On a week’s break, boater’s can reach the Shropshire market town of Whitchurch, home to J B Joyce, the oldest clock makers in the world.
• Head for the bright lights of Birmingham…the vibrant City of Birmingham with central moorings in Gas Street Basin, next to Brindley Place, is just a five-hour cruise away from our base at Tardebigge on the Worcester & Birmingham Canal near Bromsgrove. With no locks to negotiate, there’s plenty of time to cuddle-up together at the tiller!
• Cruise along the beautiful Kennet & Avon Canal…from our base at Bradford on Avon on the Kennet & Avon Canal in Wiltshire, on the edge of the Cotswolds, boaters can reach moorings at the bottom of the Caen Hill Flight in Devizes eight hours, with a choice of cosy rural pubs along the way, including the Barge Inn at Seend.
• Potter through rural Leicestershire…our base at Union Wharf in Market Harborough offers the chance to explore the beautiful Leicestershire countryside afloat and a bottle of sparkling wine is included for Valentine’s Day bookings. On a short break, couples can reach the pretty village of Crick, travelling along the Leicester Line of the Grand Union Canal. On a week’s holiday, they can reach Braunston.
• Wend your way through rural Warwickshire…from our base at Wootton Wawen on the Stratford Canal in Warwickshire, canal boat holiday-makers can reach Hatton on a short break, passing through a series of pretty canal villages along the way, including Lapworth. Here, the Punchbowl English country pub, with a real log fire, is offering a special Valentine’s Day menu. On a week’s break from Wootton Wawen, boaters can head to historic Warwick and visit Warwick Castle, said to be Britain’s greatest medieval experience.